It is divided in two parts: The Foundation Of Leadership: What It Takes To Be #1 and Inspiring Others To Greatness: How To Lead Like Vince Lombardi. Each one has a few chapters.
The first part was a little disappointing, as I thought it was too boring, and didn't gave anything new. I thought I was re-reading a milder, less interesting version of Sacred Hoops: Spiritual Lessons of a Hardwood Warrior, by Phil Jackson.
But then Chapter 4, Character and Integrity and Chapter 5, Developing winning habits started to explain everything in a new light, and giving something back for the reading investment.
Probably the best chapter is Chapter 5 and the ideas can be summarized in the following list
- When you have to, flight, wen you can, fight!
- Discipline takes different forms, but it is a must
- Weed out the uncommitted in your team
- Sacrifice and self-denial lie behind every great success
- Work at it, don't slack at it
- Demand it first from yourself and then from others around you
- Be prepared to sacrifice for it
- Be mentally tough
- Use your toughness to beat setbacks
- Use your toughness to seek out new challenges
- Search out and identify your beliefs and the habits that grow out of them
- Own your habits, control your time
- Give everything for your passion
- Be disciplined every time
- Give total commitment to your endevours
- Use your courage toughtfully
- The organization that wins is made of winners
- Overnight success does not exist. Invest in talent
- Amazon: You already know Amazon... You can buy more stuff there, but no free international shipping.
- The Book Depository: You can only buy books here... But the prices are really competitive (currently, it is only 3.43€), and has free international shipping. I've bought my last 5 books from here, as you don't need to think about shipping rates buying is just going there and buying one book. No need to plan those 5-10 books boxes to spread the fees.