- Read it over quickly. Note down tools I don't know or I need to refresh. If there are interesting references, note them down for reading
- Find out the unknown tools, if needed to understand what is done in the paper.
- Read again quickly.
- Write down over the first page of the paper the interesting theorems or tools used.
- (Optional) If a deep understanding of the paper is needed, read again slowly, checking coherence. Note down on the margin key ideas (interesting transformations, relationships with other problems, obscure references).
- (Optional) Write down a mind-map or scheme of the article if a deep understanding is needed.